Thread: Gas gauge ohms

Default Gas gauge ohms

I'm putting in after-market gauges in my Scout II, and was wondering what the ohm setting is for the fuel gauge. I remember seeing a thread a while ago that said for pickups it was 10-73 ohms... is that the same for Scouts?

The 10-73 ohms is pretty much standard for all IH vehicles.
    If you're going aftermarket gauges you also might consider having Jeff at IHON build you a sending unit for the correct range if the 10-73 doesn't come in the style you want.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Ok, cool. I was hoping it would be that easy. I'm putting in some Auto Meter Z-series gauges (2642 for the fuel gauge), and they have one that ranges from 8-73 and figured it'd work at least as good as the original.

I'll have to look into it if I run into any problems. You think it will matter if I have the 33 gallon instead of the 19 gallon tank?

Quote Originally Posted by lindstromjd View Post
    Ok, cool. I was hoping it would be that easy. I'm putting in some Auto Meter Z-series gauges (2642 for the fuel gauge), and they have one that ranges from 8-73 and figured it'd work at least as good as the original.

I'll have to look into it if I run into any problems. You think it will matter if I have the 33 gallon instead of the 19 gallon tank?
    That depends completely on the length of the float arm. The float must rest near the bottom of the range when empty, so you adjust the length of the arm to do that. If you change the depth of the tank, the float may just hang in space while you still have fuel left. If the arm is too long, you will not be all the way to empty when you run out of fuel. You can figure this out fairly easily before you reinstall the tank.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I have the 33 gallon sending unit in the tank so I would assume it's set where it's supposed to be. It worked fine when I had the original gauges in the truck.