Thread: Which plow pump fluid to use and how much?

Default Which plow pump fluid to use and how much?

So I found a sweet IH plow hookup from a guy in PA which fit on my '65 scout 80 like a glove but the fluid in the pump on the engine MAY be low. I can see the mechanism in the reservoir which seems to take up most of the room in there. Not sure which fluid to put in to top it off probably brake fluid? Maybe doesn't need topped off if it's a system like a differential which has enough in the bottom to slop around and I'd hate to overfill it. The lines leading to and from aren't so new so I don't want to start testing them now that Akron Ohio just got it's first snow dusting. First posting here I will appreciate any help you guys can give me. I have scout 80 fever with 3 in the backyard now along with my '70 1300D so you'll probably get sick of reading my letters. Merry Christmas all. Brad

Do NOT use brake fluid. Use power steering or straight hydraulic fluid. Ensure that the mechanism is fully covered in fluid. Treat it like a power steering pump in a newer rig. Keep it full & check it weekly. You'll be fine.

Merry Christmas & welcome to the forums.

Default thank you bald scout your help saves me many $$$$$

all 3 of my scouts came from their previous owners with a bonus extra (mostly partial) can of brake fluid in the under hood ditch between the front driver's wheel and brake/clutch masters. I suppose this was for the antiquated brake or clutch system leakage/evaporation but it was just enough for me to introduce uncertainty as whether to use it on the plow/ex-power steering pump fluid reservoir. Again thanks for the prompt response I'm about to plow for the first time and I'm so psyched up I will probably plow everyone's drive on my street for practice if not for extra income since my job went south about 2 months ago. Merry Christmas and a Happy 2010 from snowy Ohio.

That extra fluid is something that most owners carry to ensure they can stay on the road should something go awry. I know I carry spare fluids.

Hope the plowing experience was good and you've had fun out there. It is a nice way to earn some extra $$$ when available. Be safe out there and watch the curbs; they eat the plow springs...

Merry Christmas,

Bill